Our First Sustainable Project draws its name from lessons learned out of the biblical passage found in all Four Gospels of the Bible know as the feeding of the multitude or the feeding of the 5,000. It relates how 4,000 or 5,000 men excluding women and children were hungry in one occasion but none of the men had any food; counting everyone there were probably 10,000 - 20,000 people. It took the resources of one boy who only had two small fish and 5 small loaves of bread and the miracle Jesus performed to feed everyone and have various baskets full of leftovers.
This project embodies the practical application of the biblical passage in the following manner:
- Instead of feeding 5,000 of the hungry on a hill somewhere, we will feed the community on a global platform.
- Instead of 12 disciples looking for resources and ways to feed the people, we are 5,000+ men, women, youth, and children; it is all of us taking part in this amazing initiative.
- Instead of a boy's resources we have all the resources available to us; your monetary donation, fundraising efforts, community involvement, leadership, ideas, expertise, wisdom, time, commitment, etc. Each individual is that boy with bread and fish.
- Instead of Jesus Himself performing the miracle of multiplying the fish and bread it is through all of us; via Esperanza.Foundation that God will multiply our resources.
- And finally, instead of having various baskets full of leftovers we will achieve sustainability, and continue to feed the multitude well into the future.
This project will address the problem of hunger in the community by providing locally grown, locally produced products and a healthy basic food basket at affordable prices at our Esperanza farmer's market stall. Our restaurant will provide free meals for children under 10 years of age and affordable quality meals to the community. This project will also address the problem of poverty in the form of jobs and training opportunities for many individuals. These are just two of the most tangible ways this project will impact the economic growth of families and community.
The benefits to the community will be numerous as this will become a self sustaining project with the revenue being re-invested in other innovative ways to enhance our growth, our gifts to other charities, our programming, and services.